• Sept, 04th 2019
  • Lekshmi

Can you immigrate to Canada with your family?

Yes, many Canadian immigration programs are allowing you to immigrate to Canada with your family. Canada also has a powerful dedication to family reunification, so you can also apply to sponsor your wife, kids, relatives and grandparents if you are already in Canada!

Immigrating to Canada with your family

Many of the immigration programs in Canada enable candidates to take their families with them. However, this is not the case for every program, so before applying, you should check the procedure for your program of selection. Permanent immigration programs, including Express Entry and Business Immigration, allow for the inclusion of families. Some temporary work and study visa programs will allow applicants to bring their families, but this is often decided on a case-by-case basis and depends on the program regulations.

Family members you can bring.

Generally, programs that enable you to take family members will allow you to include both your wife or common-law partner and your dependent kids up to the age of 21. A individual 22 years of age or older may still be regarded dependent if they are unable to provide financial assistance owing to a mental or physical illness. Unfortunately, brothers and sisters, aunts / uncles, nieces / nephews and cousins are not eligible to accompany other relatives to Canada. However, many Canadian immigration programs award points to candidates who have families residing in Canada, so that your immigration can assist your extended family members in their immigration phase. Parents and grandparents are qualified to be sponsored by Canada through the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program (PGP). However, there is a limited number of spaces available in this program and a very high demand, so it can be challenging to successfully sponsor your parents or grandparents for immigration. Below is some of the most common routes to immigrate to Canada with your family.

Permanent Resident Applicants, including Express Entry

All of Canada's financial immigration apps for permanent residence permit applicants to apply as a family. Usually, this needs one individual to apply as the main applicant. They may include the spouse or common-law partner, as well as any dependent kids. If the request is approved, all family members included in the application will become permanent residents of Canada. Please note that many PR programs, including the popular Federal Skilled Worker program (FSW), require candidates to show that they have sufficient money to support their settlement in Canada. This amount increases with each adding more family members.

Temporary visa: Study Permits

If you are planning to study in Canada and you have a spouse, common-law partner, and/or children, you can include them on your student visa application. If it is approved, your spouse will be able to accompany you to Canada with a spousal open work permit enabling him/her to seek employment, and your children will be able to accompany you and attend secondary school in Canada. However, including the family members on a study visa application may influence the decision of the visa officer deciding your file. All holders of research permits must show that they intend to leave Canada at the end of the term of their license. In some cases, including family members applying for a study permit, an officer may be advised that the applicant intends to remain permanently in Canada, without respecting the temporary terms of their study permit.

Temporary visa: Work Permits

Canada provides a number of distinct kinds of job permits. Generally, if you hold a Canadian work permit for a National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A or B, your spouse will be eligible to apply for an open work permit. If approved, this work permit will allow your wife to accompany you to Canada and to seek jobs. If you operate at NOC ability level C or D, your partner will have to apply for his or her own work permit through frequent channels. Please note that all applications for work permits are processed at the discretion of the visa officer assigned to the file.

If you would like to learn more about your family’s eligibility for Canadian immigration, simply complete our free assessment! A team member will review your eligibility and contact you and discuss further about your immigration options.